Client: Cattle Council of Australia (CCA)
The Cattle Council of Australia (CCA) is the peak industry body responsible for representing and advancing the interests of Australia’s grass-fed beef producers.
Beef is a major Australian industry:
- National cattle herd is around 27m head on over 59,000 properties.
- Generated an off-farm value of meat production of A$11.9b in 2011-12.
- Australia’s second largest agricultural export industry and the world’s largest exporter of beef.
- Exported $4.7 billion worth of beef (65% of production) to more than 100 countries, contributing 15% of Australia’s total farm exports in 2011-12
Key issues prevailing at commencement
Overall, there was a need for action, but also considerable uncertainty with the industry and the Cattle Council about a workable way forward:
- Preparation of the new national industry strategy had been delayed for almost two years.
- Major industry disruption associated with the temporary ban of live cattle exports to Indonesia.
- Industry participants were debating the need for reform to improve the effectiveness of industry organisations and various alternative models were being advanced.
- The Cattle Council of Australia had issued a consultation paper for structural reform of the grass fed cattle industry national representation.
Key services provided by Inovact
- Designed an integrated strategy development process that leveraged existing industry knowledge and information and strategically engaged key stakeholders.
- Advised on the design of independent research via computer assisted telephone interviews with a sample of 675 cattle producers.
- Conducted analysis and drafted a report on the telephone research findings.
- Assisted in preparation of project and communications plans and drafting of issue papers for the interactive web site.
- Assisted in design of state and national workshops and participated in several.
- Conducted interviews with selected industry leaders and other influential stakeholders.
- Facilitated drafting of the industry strategic plan with the Cattle Council.
Outcomes and value to date
Overall, Inovact Consulting has provided a unifying process for the industry to redefine its direction at a time of considerable uncertainty and debate on the need, urgency and direction of change. More specifically there is now greater:
- Industry ownership of a draft plan that provides high-level direction, principles and priorities for future investment of industry resources.
- Industry support enlisted for implementation of the plan through wide engagement of the key stakeholders to identify and prioritise strategic imperatives.
- Industry engagement in a dialogue on the appropriate roles, responsibilities, metrics, structure and funding to deliver on the industry plan.
- Achievement of the Cattle Council’s obligations under the Red Meat Memorandum of Understanding.